Greek guards have cancelled a strike that would have shut down the Athens Acropolis after the government promised to satisfy some of their demands, their union said on Wednesday.
The archaeological guards shut down the country's most visited monument on July 14-15 and had planned another strike on July 21-24, demanding better pay for night duty and for working six days a week.
"If the government does not keep its promises by the end of August we will strike again," said union member Yannis Dimakakos.
Last week's strike left many tourists disappointed. Thousands climb every week the steep marble steps of the Acropolis to visit the Parthenon and other Classical monuments on the hill.